Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Struggling

At the moment I am finding it hard to get any kind of blogging or crafting mojo going at all. I am constantly glued to the t.v watching all this wet weather devastate regions around me. Last week my mothers home town of Bundaberg was under threat, split in two by so much water. We still have family in Bundy who luckily live on the high and dry side of town, but seeing images of places you know so well completely underwater was just bizarre. Then yesterday a massive freak weather event, that can only be described as an inland tsunami ripped through the centre of the town of Toowoomba. After high school I spent a year in Toowoomba, attending art college and watching that footage has just broken my heart. The house I lived in in Toowoomba was literally about 150 metres from the small creek that carried all that water. That wall of water continued on down the Toowoomba range and has left many towns under water. As it stands right now there are 8 people confirmed dead and 72 missing. Just insane.

The flood appeal continues and I would urge people to contribute anything they can to try and get these communities back to their homes and begin the clean up. You can make a donation here.

6 comments:

teddybearswednesday said...

Oh Selina it must be awful to be so close.
Glad you are safe and Ok, but sending you big love xo

Jennie said...

So glad to hear that you and your family are okay. It looks just dreadful out there. XX

NessaKnits said...

After so many years of drought on the East coast of Australia, it is so hard to believe so much water and particularly 700 metres above sea level. Thoughts go out to the people that are facing so much loss.

Colette said...

This is so awful to watch, I can't image what it must be like to be there. Thinking of you all and I hope it calms down soon.

manda said...

Oh Selina, it's just terrible, isn't it? Stay safe!!

Car said...

Hope you guys are ok, was just on the phone to mum and she was prattling off all the roads that were flooded down there. I got home safely earlier tonight, Ive never been so happy to be atnhome with my family.

These floods are just devastating :(